The R&D team at Ad Valorem prepare claims for tax reliefs under HMRC’s Research and Development scheme in the SME sector. We are a business and a team in high growth, and we are looking to add new colleagues to our team. This position is one which is broadly technical but also requires strong people skills alongside to really be effective. We are looking for someone who is competent in a wide spectrum of activities, from writing technical reports, to preparing tax elements, to managing clients’ expectations and communicating with them effectively.
We are aware that this is a relatively niche role, so don’t worry if you don’t feel like you tick every box. We have employed people from a wide spectrum of backgrounds and effectively integrated them into the team including several trainees to the role. If you feel like you meet some of the criteria but are interested in the role and expanding your skill set, then please get in touch, we’d love to hear from you.
We are also considering trainees for this position where your responsibilities will be more supportive as you learn about the scheme and client interaction. Support and training will be provided to develop you into the full R&D Technician position.
- Plan and manage workload and capacity, managing clients into and through the process effectively. Ensure clients receive a consistent high level of service and that all deadlines are met.
- Gather information from clients on all aspects of their innovation which you believe to be eligible under the UK R&D scheme. Ensure R&D claims meet the requirements of relevant tax legislation and guidelines. Keep up to date with HMRC rules and regulations in relation to R&D tax credits.
- Write R&D technical reports (often from information obtained by others) which translate the client’s innovations into clear, well written reports which demonstrate to HMRC how the clients’ activities qualify for the R&D Tax credit scheme.
- Complete R&D expenditure calculations and tax submissions which detail the spending undertaken by the client and how it affects their tax liabilities under the scheme. Ensure these claims are optimised and consider all eligible spending.
- Fully utilise the CRM system, recording interactions with clients so that they are visible across the organisation, adding to our central point of understanding of the client experience.
- Fully utilise the R&D workflow system, keeping it up to date with current progress on a ‘live’ basis, so that it is always reflective of actions that have been completed.
- Provide regular updates on your allocated workload to your line manager, highlighting risks, and asking for support where necessary.
- Liaise with HMRC about the progression of claims through their processing after submission.
- Absorb strategic changes to process and feedback on performance in your approach.
- At least 1 year of experience in an accounting/finance role (preferably experience in an R&D role).
- Preferable level 2 AAT or ATT qualified / postgraduate.
- Be able to understand a client’s needs and provide solutions according to legal requirements.
- Able to work in an environment that can sometimes be time pressured.
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate, present and influence potential clients at business owner level.
- Have a passion for understanding and supporting SME’s including sole traders, micro entities and limited companies.
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate both internally and externally
- Be proficient at using basic Microsoft office packages (Word and Excel).
- Hold a valid UK Driving Licence.
- Have the right to work in the UK.
In return, the successful candidate will receive:
- Competitive salary + pension contributions
- Full study assistance accompanies the role
- Benefits package inc. private medical insurance, death in service benefit
- Development for career progression within a family-feel environment
- Hybrid working patterns available, once past probation period